Steve Dalton OBE, SONY
Steve Dalton OBE is the Managing Director of Sony UK Technology Centre (UK TEC) in Pencoed.
After starting as an electrical test jig designer in 1983, Mr Dalton moved to Pencoed when the site first opened in 1992 to support the start-up of the new TV manufacturing facility.
Here, he took on the role of General Manager overseeing the manufacturing of all new TV products. He also led the introduction of digital set-top receiver production and managed the introduction of broadcast and professional camera manufacturing for worldwide distribution from 1999.
In 2003, Mr Dalton was appointed Director of Operational Management overseeing the Pencoed and Bridgend sites, being promoted to Managing Director in 2006.
Since then the facility has grown substantially, boasting a HD Broadcasting Manufacturing business, a Collaborative Manufacturing business that produces high value-added products for a global customer base, a Sony Service and Repair Centre as well as a Business Incubation Centre that is currently home to more than 30 like-minded businesses.
His significant contribution to manufacturing, saw him awarded an OBE in the 2011 Queen’s New Year’s Honours List.
A brief summary of the keynote speech:
Steve will talk through the history and journey of Sony in Wales based in Pencoed, South Wales
- Why Wales
- How Sony in Wales has grown
- Sony’s continued contribution to the local environment & economy
- Sony’s commitment to people – expanding strengths etc. The Japanese influence
Steve will explain how the operation has evolved, how they have embraced advanced automation and robotics
- How and why was Sony seen as the best producer of cameras, and the Raspberry Pi
- What have been the challenges
- How we have utilised manufacturing skills elsewhere
Steve will also touch on the current and future of UK Manufacturing
- Where can and should industry focus in the near-term, coming out of COVID
- Opportunities on the near horizon